Sunday, October 3, 2010

this is also home.

My family in the Philippines + Mum are having a huge get-together today.At the crack of dawn today my uncles would have killed a pig & a goat,both would be slowly turning over flames right now.My aunts & Mum would be busily preparing buko [coconut] salad,pancit [noodles],bico [sticky rice] & other delicious sides.My uncles would be cooking their -straight from the sea- fish,whilst drinking strong rum & telling stupid jokes.My 10 billion cousins would be playing & hiding & running & laughing & riding through the jungle,preparing themselves for the upcoming feast & karaoke battle.The day would wind down with a siesta for all,hammocks strung,full bellies & most likely more rum.In the late afternoon everybody will jump on motorbikes/Lolo's old red truck/tricycles/bicycles & go down to the beach for a late afternoon dip in the ocean.


I miss my other home & my familia & am a little sad that I'm the only member of the family who won't be there today.But my heart is always there with them & my mind is so vivid with memories that it feels like I'm already there.



+ family.family.family.
+ catching fireflies with my little cousins at night
+ fresh food straight from my aunts & uncles farms
+ clean air tinged with the faint smell of pig shit,wet earth,smouldering fire.
+ early morning rising
+ wading through mud & laughing when one of us slipped over
+ sitting in a hammock with my little cousins helping me practice my bisaya
+ babysitting piglets
+ collecting banana leaves to cook everything in
+ riding beat up bicycles with no brakes along dusty roads
+ trying to ride a motorbike with one hand whilst the other hand is clutching onto the legs of a live chicken
+ habel-habel everyday
+ picking lansones from the tree at the back
+ devouring the sweet juicey flesh of the pomelos from my uncles farm
+ native chickens running everywhere
+ hand-washing our clothes in a big cut-out car tire
+ sunsets over palmtrees
+ the sweet smell of plumeria wafting with the breeze
+ the vibrancy & scent of the surrounding trees
+ finally learning how to use my malong to it's full capacity
+ starfish & sea urchin
+ riding motorbikes with my cousins through rice fields,rocky roads & dense jungle,trying to race them & it usually ending with me stacking it,hurting myself & laughing my ass off as the boys freak the fuck out.
+ pigs relishing in mud-filled potholes in the middle of the road
+ rain rain and more rain
+ riding sideways on the back of my lolo's old red truck
+ tricibot
+ afternoon walks through the jungle to pick fresh cocoa
+ the knowledge that every single day changes,nothing is ever the same & i relish in that.
+ losing weight from only eating fresh,clean,beautiful food.you want to eat chicken? you go outside & kill one.you want to eat fruit?you wander through the jungle & collect it.i fucking love that!
+ listening to really horrible love songs over a crackling old radio
+ jumping on the back of trucks as they pass by to hitch a ride into town
+ flat tyres & sitting in the scorching sun waiting for somebody to pass by

Yeah,I'm already there.

No comments: