Friday, February 18, 2011

tuesdays child



Tuesday has always been my favorite day of the week,I’m not entirely sure why,but it has a ‘ye olde-tea & scones-frolic at the beach-lay in the grass-sunshine on your shoulders’ vibe which I adore.Tuesday became even more exciting for me because it’s the day when I attend my DBT [dialectical behavioral therapy] group.

Anything that encourages me to make positive choices in life is something to get excited about right? I adore DBT because it’s one of the main things in my life that has resonated with my madness & sadness.It makes perfect sense to me and is helping me to change and grow in a way that is enabling me to become more aware of myself and my surroundings and how I choose to react to experiences,as well as simple,but profound techniques to cope with situations. Mastering every single element of DBT isn’t easy,it’s essentially re-training your brain to acknowledge yourself,your past,everything that makes your life not worth living.It forces you to rid yourself of old habits,old coping techniques,but when you do master an element,something does click and it feels like a moment of liberation from the years of mind-fucking thoughts and this huge sense of relief and peace takes over.
There’s a Buddhist quote that says ‘Believe nothing,no matter where you read it or who said,not even if I have said it,unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense’, that is how I feel about dialectical behavioral therapy.There is nothing religious or cultish about it,nor does it discriminate,it just is and I like that.

A couple of weeks ago a new lady to the group was struggling to understand what exactly DBT is and we all told her our own interpretation of it.I stated that for me,DBT isn't this thing that will make the world a magical place where there are no shit people,nor is there any pain.That's just delusional.But it will enable you to learn different ways of seeing the world around you,the people around you,the experiences that have happened and will happen to you and arm you with coping strategies that won't take away the pain,but they will help reduce your suffering.
It's about creating a life worth living,with the least possible amount of suffering and learning to live in the present moment.

No comments: